Saturday, November 7, 2009

The Necessity of Clothing (Part 5)

Christ.

When I was little and even thereafter, the goal of my prayer before a meal (when eating alone) was to be as fast as possible: "Thank you Lord for this food. InJesusnameIpray Amen." Not that prayers before meals need to be prolonged, but there wasn't much thought other than to consume the food that was before me.

These days, admittedly with much deliberation and discipline, I try to think about Christ.

He is our manna, the bread from heaven (John 6:32-33). He is our True Bread, True Drink (John 6:52-58). I shall not live by bread alone, but I am alive because of every word that come from the mouth of the Lord (Deuteronomy 8:3).

This is why fasting is good for us once in a while, our hunger without food reminds us of the infinitely greater hunger of our souls without God. In other words, the nourishment and enjoyment of food points us to Christ.

In like manner, we must think about our clothes.

There in the garden, blood was shed. God slaughtered animals to cover Adam and Eve with garments of skins (Genesis 3:21). In this context, the mercy of God points to the day when Christ will crush the serpent once and for all (Genesis 3:15) and perfectly cover the sin committed in Eden and thereafter.

Christ is our True Covering. I am no longer ashamed, no longer naked. As I stand in the presence of God, God sees Christ and his righteousness, and forgives me of my betrayal, my iniquities. My righteousness is like rags, like leaves (Isaiah 64:6-7). His is perfect.

As we feel our skin beneath the coverings of our earthly garments, think of Christ. Think of the hope of our future glory (Philippians 3:20-21). Our wedding gown is expensive indeed. The Lamb of God was slaughtered to clothe us in his righteousness.

By grace, put on Christ. Wear the radiance of his glory.

Here are the links to the series:
Part 1: In the Garden
Part 2: Shame
Part 3: Sackcloth
Part 4: Bridal garment
Heart-Applications
Applications: Take Two
Hunger: Modesty is not just about clothes

3 comments:

Sherryberry said...

Thanks Irene for all the posts about the "neccessity of Clothing." It really is all about Jesus. I forget that everyday. and I forget that I've forgotten often too. I think thats wut i'm struggling with most, forgetting that my faith is not about me. it's all about God's glory. it's all about Jesus. Thanks for pointing me to Jesus everytime I see, listen, read, or talk with you and Hans.

Peter said...

likes this post.

=)

Peter said...

also irene, could you and/or hans take a look at my latest blog post? i've been kind of struggling recently so if you could pray for me that'd be fantastic as well thank youuu =)