Sunday, March 25, 2012

In the sun

{a letter to our almost-four-year-old son after a particular difficult day}


Darling,

Today was a very sad day for daddy and me. The winds and waves were tall; and our boat so very small. I was grateful that we were together: you and Hanan, daddy and me.

The rules and boundaries we give are not to bind you, but to keep you safe. We give you instructions, so that you will know which way to go. We build you a trellis, so you will be able to climb and find the sun.

Meanwhile, mommy and daddy are watching you sleep, our hearts hurting. We love you very much, and I am grateful that we are together, especially during the storms.

I can't wait to run with you, in the sun.

love,
mommy



7 comments:

thetoddlerwhisperer said...

Oh parenting can be so fun, can't it?? Thank Jesus for His mercies anew.

Ruth@GraceLaced said...

Your photos are wonderful! Some seasons feel so weighty and insurmountable--and all the more so with the responsibilities of parenting. God's grace is indeed greater than the waves and the tumult!

The Opera Diva said...

:( Why so sad?...Love you and miss you guys.
PS: I had a dream seeing Emeth and Hanan while we were at Philadelphia. Lotsa hugs and giggles. I was really sad when I woke up realizing it was just a dream.

Contemplating Beauty said...

Indeed! The same thing I say to my 17 year old!

Irene Sun said...

the toddler whisperer -- yes. i am very grateful! =) your comment made me smile.

Ruth - Thanks, Ruth. His grace is indeed greater.

Szeling - remember when Ma told us that her heart hurt when she had to discipline us? i didn't know how much. but i do now, at least in part. love you.

Gina Norma -- really?! I was hope I don't have to repeat these things too much longer. ;-)

Thanks for the love, ladies!!

Catherine said...

D:

E! said...

this love story brought one, maybe two, tears to my eyes. im a child of God, so dearly loved :)

grateful for the storm-Whisperer too. hehe. miss you!